We support health equity for all Americans.
FYI: Minority Resources...Money & More June 11,2014
FYI: Weekly Health Resources Newsletter
Office of Minority Health sent this bulletin at 06/11/2014 12:00 PM EDT
June 11, 2014
Federal Office of Minority Health Grants
- HHS/OMH: Youth Empowerment Program II (YEP II). Seeks to address unhealthy behaviors in minority males (10-18 years) at-risk of violence and provide them opportunities to learn skills and gain experiences that contribute to more positive lifestyles and enhance their capacity to make healthier life choices. Deadline is June 13, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/OMH: Minority Youth Violence Prevention (MYVP): Integrating Public Health and Community Policing Approaches. Deadline is June 13, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/OMH: Partnerships to Increase Coverage in Communities Initiative (PICCI). The purpose of the PICC Initiative is to identify, assist and educate minority populations about the Health Insurance Marketplace and coverage opportunities made possible by the Affordable Care Act. Deadline is June 16, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight: Cooperative Agreement to Support Navigators in Federally-facilitated and State Partnership Marketplaces. Open to eligible individuals, as well as private and public entities, applying to serve as Navigators in states with a Federally-facilitated or State Partnership Marketplace. Open to new and returning Navigator applicants. Deadline is July 10, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/CMS: CONNECTING KIDS TO COVERAGE: Outreach and Enrollment Grants Focused on Increasing Enrollment of American Indian/Alaska Native Children. Deadline is June 30, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/Administration for Community Living: Cooperative Agreement. Evidence-Based Falls Prevention Programs Financed Solely by 2014 Prevention and Public Health Funds (PPHF-2014). Deadline is July 8, 2014. Learn more.
- NIH/National Library of Medicine (NLM): AIDS Community Information Outreach Projects. NLM is requesting quotations from organizations and libraries to design and conduct projects that will improve access to HIV/AIDS related health information for patients, the affected community, and their caregivers. Deadline is July 11, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/CDC: Diabetes Prevention and Heart Disease & Stroke Prevention Program: A Comprehensive Approach to Good Health and Wellness in Indian Country financed solely by 2014 Prevention and Public Health Funds (PPHF). Deadline is July 22, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/CDC: Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH) financed in part by PPHF. Deadline is July 22, 2014. Learn more.
Non Federal Grants
- Missouri Foundation for Health (MFH): General Support for Advocacy (GSA). Provides grants to eligible nonprofit organizations engaged in health advocacy work. Deadline is June 19, 2014. Learn more.
- National Institute for Health Care Management (NIHCM) Foundation: Research Grant. Projects must advance existing knowledge in the areas of health care financing, delivery, management and/or policy. Deadline for letter of inquiry is July 14, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/Office of Human Resources (OHR): Summer Program. Government Leaders for Tomorrow (GL4T): Preparing Today’s Youth For Tomorrow’s Government. The GL4T Summer Program provides minority students employment preparation experience that will provide insight into Federal employment. Deadline is June 13, 2014. To learn more, please e-mail GL4T@hhs.gov.
- Futures Without Violence: 2014-2015 Futures Without Violence Campus Leadership Program. This program seeks to spur student-led action to change university policy, enhance curriculum, raise awareness, and shift campus culture around dating violence, domestic violence and the connection to sexual assault, and reproductive coercion. Deadline June 27, 2014. Learn more.
- Hardy Girls, Healthy Women: Registration now open for the 4th Annual Summer Institute, Navigating Girl World: Connecting the Dots…Changing the Culture. Three-day intensive training that will feature the latest theories about girls’ health and development and offer proven methods for supporting girls’ voices. June 25-27, 2014 in Freeport, Maine. Register.
- American Society for Healthcare Human Resources Administration (ASHHRA): Webinar. Implications of the ACA: What Will Become of Retiree Health Care Benefits? June 17, 2014, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET. Register.
- HHS/Center for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Webinar. Special Enrollment Periods and Resources for the Uninsured. June 19, 2014, 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm ET. Register.
- NIH/Center for Scientific Review (CSR), in collaboration with the Advisory Committee to the Director (ACD) Diversity Working Group Subcommittee on Peer Review: Announcement of two America COMPETES Act Challenges for ideas to detect potential bias in peer review and ideas to strengthen reviewer training to enhance impartiality and fairness in the review of grant applications. New Methods to Detect Bias in Peer Review and Strategies to Strengthen Fairness and Impartiality in Peer Review. Deadline is June 30, 2014. Learn more.
- HHS/ACF, Children’s Bureau: New video. The National Survey of Child and Adolescent Well-Being (NSCAW): Implications for Child Welfare Evaluations. NSCAW provides nationally representative, longitudinal data on children and families that have been involved with the child welfare system. Watch.
- HHS/Let’s Move Faith & Communities, in partnership with the Children’s Museum of Manhattan (CMOM): Webinar. EatPlayGrow. EatPlayGrow combines the most up-to-date science from the NIH with CMOM's creative educational approach to teach young children and their parents how to make healthy nutritional and physical activity choices. June 18, 2014, 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm ET. Register.
- Cross Cultural Health Care Program: Connecting to Care - Patient Guide Training. Patient guides help hospitals support limited English proficient patients and patients with low health literacy at every point of care. June 18-21, 2014 in Seattle, WA. Learn more.
- HHS/OMH, National Partnership for Action to End Health Disparities (NPA): Webinar. Maximizing Returns on Public Health Investments: Structural and Policy Initiatives to Address Health Disparities and Advance Health Equity. This webinar will highlight state level policy, administrative, data and strategic partnerships to advance health equity in the state of Ohio. June 19, 2014, 2:00 pm ET. Register.
- Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH)/Disparities Solutions Center (DSC): Registration now open for the Healthcare Quality and Equity Action Forum: Pursuing High-Value Healthcare. June 19-20, 2014 in Boston, MA. Register.
- Intercultural Cancer Council (ICC): Registration now open for the 12th Annual Summer Workshop Course. Disparities in Health in America: Working Towards Social Justice. June 23-28, 2014 in Houston, TX. Register.
- California Telehealth Resource Center: Webinar. The Telehealth Implementation Roadmap. This webinar will discuss tips, tools, guidelines, and resources for planning or revitalizing a telehealth program. June 19, 2014, 11:00 am - 12:00 pm PT. Register.
- HHS/Office of HIV/AIDS and Infectious Disease Policy (OHAIDP): Webinar. Moving Black MSM along the HIV Care Continuum: Challenges, Opportunities and Emerging Practices. June 25, 2014, 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm ET. Register.
- HHS/ACF: Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Requester Roundtable for organizations serving the Hispanic community. June 16, 2014, 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm ET in Washington, DC. RSVP with ACF FOIA Officer Kimberly Epstein.
- National Hispanic and Latino Addiction Technology Transfer Center Network (ATTC): Call for poster presentation abstracts for the National Hispanic and Latino ATTC Conference. Integrating Research, Education, and Services to Reduce Behavioral Health Disparities in Hispanic and Latino Populations. Deadline is June 30, 2014. Register.
- Hispanic-Serving Health Professions Schools (HSHPS), in collaboration with HHS and NIH: Professional Development Workshop. Using Data Systems to Improve Hispanic Health Outcomes. July 24-25, 2014 in Bethesda, MD. Register.
- Mother & Child Health Coalition (MCHC) and Children's Mercy Hospitals & Clinics: Registration now open for Mid-America Immunization Coalition (MAIC) Immunization Symposium: Exploring Challenges & Opportunities. June 27, 2014 in Overland Parks, KS. Register.
- HHS and OMH recognize June 9-15 as Men's Health Week. For more information, statistics, government initiatives, and resources you or your organization can use to raise awareness, please visit the OMH website and the Men's Health Network's National Men's Health Week.
- HHS/Center for Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships: Webinar. Men’s Health and Brother2Brother: Tools for Health. June 13, 2014, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm ET. Register.
- National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA): Registration now open for the 2014 Annual NEDA Conference, Thinking Big: Uniting Families & Professionals in the Fight Against Eating Disorders. October 16-18, 2014 in San Antonio, TX. Register.
- Prevent Blindness: Webcast. 3rd Annual Focus on Eye Health National Summit. June 18, 2014, 8:30 am - 12:30 pm ET. Register.
- HHS/Office of the Secretary of Health and Human Services (OS), Office of Minority Health(OMH) is recruiting for a FT, permanent Supervisory Public Health Advisor position (OMH Deputy Director) in Rockville, MD. Deadline is June 12, 2014. Apply.
State / Local Government
- Washington State Department of Health/Division of Prevention and Community Service, Office of Healthy Communities – Access, Systems, and Coordination Section, Healthy Starts and Transitions Unit is recruiting for a Health Services Consultant 4 – Healthy Starts & Child Development Supervisor (DOH2355) position in Tumwater, WA. Deadline is June 17, 2014. Apply.
- Best Care at Lower Cost edited by Mark D. Smith, et al. emphasizes that a better use of data is a critical element of a continuously improving health system, such as utilizing mobile technologies and electronic health records that offer significant potential to capture and share health data better. Search our catalog.
Content Last Modified: 7/2/2014 3:40:00 PM