The OMHRC Knowledge Center has made some recent acquisitions this month! Among them are: (This is only a partial listing).
Knowledge Center Library Acquisitions
In honoring Black History Month, the Knowledge Center is highlighting some scholarly books from our collection which illustrate evolving obstacles and successes in the history of medicine for African Americans. Links and descriptions to these documents can be located by searching the Knowledge Center Online Catalog.
- African American Medical Pioneers / Epps, C.H.; Johnson, D.G.; Vaughan, AL. Rockville, MD: Williams & Wilkins, 1994. 254 p. MH94D2118
- Against the Odds: Blacks in the Profession of Medicine in the United States. / Watson, W. Somerset, NJ: Transaction Publishers, 1998. 257 p. MH99D3773
- An American Health Dilemma: A Medical History of African Americans and the Problem of Race: Beginnings to 1900. / Byrd, W.M.; Clayton, L.A. New York, NY: Routledge, 2000. 588 p. MH01D4337
- Bad Blood: The Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment (New and Expanded ed.) / Jones, J H. New York, NY: The Free Press, 1993. 297 p. MH97D3222
- Beside the Troubled Waters: A Black Doctor Remembers Life, Medicine and Civil Rights in an Alabama Town / Hereford, S.W. III; Ellis, J.D. Tuscaloosa, AL: The University of Alabama Press, 2011. 177 p. MH11D10269
- Black Hospitals in America: History, Contributions and Demise; A Comprehensive Review of the history, Contributions and Demise of the More Than 500 Black Hospitals of the 20th Century / Wesley, N. Tallahassee, FL: NRW Associates Publications, 2010. 340 p. MH11D10389
- The Good Doctors: The Medical Committee for Human Rights and the Struggle for Social Justice in Health Care / Dittmer, J. New York: Bloomsbury Press, 2009. 324 p. MH12D11287
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks / Skloot, R. New York: Broadway Paperbacks, 2010. 381 p. MH13D11685
- Making A Place for Ourselves: The Black Hospital Movement, 1920-1945. / Gamble, V N. Cary, NC: Oxford University Press, 1995. 296 p. MH99D3695
- Tuskegee's Truths: Rethinking the Tuskegee Syphilis Study / Reverby, S.M., ed. Chapel Hill, NC: University of North Carolina Press, 2000. 630 p. MH07D7943
You will need Adobe Acrobat® Reader™ to view PDF files located on this site. If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat® Reader™, you can download here for free.