We support health equity for all Americans.
Mission Neighborhood Health Center (MNHC)
- Founded in 1967 to provide health care services for Latino community in Mission District, San Francisco
- Clínica Esperanza opened in 1989 in response to HIV epidemic in San Francisco
- Hermanos de Luna Y Sol began in 1995 and become official HIV Prevention Intervention at MNHC 15 years ago.
Team Intro and Bios
- Maritza Penagos, director of HIV Services (2 years with MNHC). Ensures contract compliance, quality improvement and financial management of county, state and federal funding; provides program advocacy, planning, development and evaluation; provides development, fundraising and grant writing. Directly supervises 10 individuals.
- Vidal Antonio, Hermanos de Luna Y Sol coordinator: (3 years with MNHC) coordinates group facilitation, provides individual risk reduction counseling to HLS participants, and manages day to day HLS operations, including administrative and contractual tasks. (Began as Health Educator). Supervises one staff person.
Mentoring and Leadership past or current events and accomplishments and possible future actions
Mentoring Activities resulting from LMTI
- HIV Management team received training on supervision and evaluations—both formal and informal processes.
- Encouraged community of practice by having staff facilitate trainings on their specific job. For example, the treatment educator gave a training on medication adherence, the health educator gave a training on the LIFE curriculum; and the social worker gave a training on suicide assessments/crisis interventions. Also, the social worker is providing clinical supervision for the Prevention team.
- All HIV staff will participate in the DISC assessments and HLS Coordinator will facilitate; HIV management team will create mentoring partnerships based on personality/behavior styles and communication styles.
Content Last Modified: 6/21/2010 10:58:00 AM