Grant Program: State Partnership Grant Program to Improve Minority Health, FY 2007
Organization Name: Pennsylvania Department of Health
Organization Address: Room 628, Health & Welfare Building 625 Foister Street Harrisburg, PA 17120
Phone Number: (717) 787-4366
Fax Number: (717) 783-4790
Title of Project: Regional & Statewide Health Equity Summit and the Medical Interpreter Project
Project Director: Jamahal C. Boyd, Sr.
Description of organization:
The Office of Health Equity is staffed by a director and public health program administrator. The Office is under the Health Planning and Assessment Deputy within the Pennsylvania Department of Health. The OHE is funded through the federal Office of Minority Health and the Pennsylvania Department of Health. The Office of Health Equity is responsible for:
- Implementing cultural competency training for community-based organizations, state agencies and health care providers,
- Developing, managing and planning the regional health equity summits and the statewide summit,
- Preparing the health equity strategic plan,
- The facilitation of the strategies and recommendations outlined in the health disparities strategic plan, SHIP 2006-2010 and Healthy People 2010,
- Supporting the operations of the Office of Health Equity through contractual oversight of potential contractors,
- Providing technical assistance to contractors,
- Researching appropriate trainings and resources available for community-based organizations,
- Preparing reports and assessments and
- Coordinating meetings of the advisory and assessment boards.
Description of project:
The Pennsylvania Department of Health (DOH), Office of Health Equity (OHE), is requesting funds to host regional health equity summits and one statewide summit to assist in the development of a resulting statewide strategic plan to address health disparities in the Commonwealth, and to develop a medical interpreter curriculum.
Grantee Success Story