If you are a Hurricane Katrina survivor, the following Web sites may offer you assistance in finding a job.
- Start your search for a job by visiting a state department of labor. The Federal Department of Labor (DOL) maintains links to each state's department of labor on their website.
- The DOL also has a Hurricane Recovery Assistance webpage that details the income and job assistance they offer located at www.dol.gov/opa/hurricane-recovery.htm.
- Visit also DOL's Hurricane Recovery Job Connection, which connects workers impacted by the devastation caused by the hurricanes with employers who want to hire them. It will also support the hiring associated with critical clean-up efforts in impacted areas. Businesses that wish to offer jobs to survivors should also utilize the Hurricane Recovery Job Connection.
USA.gov, the official U.S. gateway to all government information, is the catalyst for a growing electronic government. On USA.gov, you can search millions of web pages from federal and state governments, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories. Most of these pages are not available on commercial Web sites. USA has the most comprehensive search of government anywhere on the Internet.
- Alabama: Information provided by Alabama’s Office of Workforce Development, can be found at www.governorpress.alabama.gov/pr/pr-2005-09-07-01-workforce.asp.
- Louisiana: To obtain information on the Louisiana Department of Labor and applications for Unemployment Insurance and Disaster Unemployment Assistance, please visit www.laworks.net, or call toll-free 866-310-1585 from 8:00am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday.
- Disaster Unemployment Assistance information about may be found here. For more information on unemployment resources and other resources from the Department of Health and Human Services, please visit www.hhs.gov/katrina/benefits.html.
- HIV/AIDS area in the Gulf Region: The National Minority AIDS Council (NMAC) maintains a currenmt job bank listing employment opportunities across the nation specifically for those seeking employment in the HIV/AIDS area.
- Nationwide employment:
- In the Gulf Region, displaced workers are encouraged to visit the NOLA.com Reaching Out Forum, which has job
postings listed by employers throughout the United States who want to help those affected by Katrina.
- There are also other job search resources and unemployment benefits available for those who have been impacted by the hurricane.