Goals, Objectives and Guiding Principles
Goals and Objectives
- Provide technical assistance to Community Based Organizations (CBOs) and community groups addressing HIV/AIDS in Guam, Saipan , American Samoa , and Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) helping them to increase their abilities to assist Health Departments and other agencies to implement local HIV initiatives.
- Assist in the establishment of a Pacific Regional Resource Center – this Center will initially provide information and training on HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases and tuberculosis (TB).
- Introduce health information and social marketing campaign activities to each of the PIJ Health Departments, encouraging them to engage in at least one health information campaign by the end of FY 2008.
- Create an inventory of health materials (handouts, posters, etc.) targeting HIV/AIDS/STD prevention messages.
- Strengthen collaboration and coordination of HIV/AIDS/STDs/TB activities between and with the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), Office on Women's Health (OWH), Pacific Island Health Officers Association (PIHOA), Pacific Island Jurisdictions AIDS Action Group (PIJAAG) , and other potential partners.
- Sponsor an assessment describing how public health strategies are initiated and implemented throughout the Pacific Jurisdictions. This assessment will focus on the health areas of HIV, STDs and TB prevention efforts.
- Focus on increasing the community's capacity to assist regional public health strategies/plans
- Acknowledge local traditions, especially the cultural and religious values of Pacific communities and ethnicities
- Seek collaborations and multi-sectored approaches
- Involve affected individuals and communities at all levels of the development of the implementation of services
- Emphasize the need for ongoing and sustainable funding support
- Include integration of HIV/AIDS with co-morbidities of sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and tuberculosis (TB).
Last Modified: 07/03/2008 02:16:00 PM