We support health equity for all Americans.
(English / Spanish)
FYI: Minority Resources...Money & More
Provided by the Office of Minority Health Resource Center's Information Services Team
May 22, 2013
OMHRC's Upcoming Webinar Training: "Project BEAT IT!" on May 30, 2013
The HHS Office of Minority Health Resource Center's National African Immigrant Project and Adventist Healthcare Center on Health Disparities are providing a webinar targeting clinicians that work with African immigrants with hepatitis B , diabetes and HIV/AIDS. The webinar Project BEAT IT! (Becoming Empowered Africans Through Improved Treatment of Diabetes) will address the cultural differences between African American and African clients. Presenters will address the difficulties faced by clinicians working with African clients and the culturally appropriate ways to deal with those road blocks.
Project BEAT IT!
Thursday, May 30, 2013
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM EDT
Space is limited. Reserve your Webinar seat now
Minority Population Specific: $500k or less . . .
- HHS/Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration: Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) Partnerships with Community Based Organizations (CBOs) Grant. View Full Announcement
- HHS/Substance Abuse & Mental Health Services Administration: Cooperative Agreements for State-Sponsored Youth Suicide Prevention and Early Intervention Grant(Short Title: State and Tribal Youth Suicide Prevention Grants). View Full Announcement
$500k or more . . .
- HHS/Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services: Health Care Innovation Awards Round Two Grant. View Full Announcement
$500k or less . . .
- HHS/National Institutes of Health: Evidence-based Demonstration Projects in Immunization (Admin Supp) Grant. View Full Announcement
- Harold and Grace Sewell Trust Fund: Community Health Worker (CHW) Section of the American Public Health Association (APHA) will offer five $800 scholarships to community health workers to help attend the 141st Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association in Boston, Massachusetts from November 2-6, 2013. If interested, please contact at Susan Mayfield-Johnson, CHW Section Program Planner for a scholarship application form.
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation: 2013 - 2014 Health & Society Scholars, postdoctoral program. View Full Announcement
- HHS/Health Resources and Services Administration: Faculty Loan Repayment Program. View Full Announcement
Affordable Care Act
- Office of Rural Health Policy: New fact sheet released. What Providers Need to Know About the Health Insurance Marketplace. Learn More [PDF | 483KB ]
- The Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum: Partnering with CMS to present a Chinese (Mandarin) language Webinar. The Health Care Law and You/ . May 28, 2013, 4:00 pm - 5:00 pm ET. Learn More
African American Health
- Black Health Coalition of Wisconsin: A public walk to support the Wisconsin African American Eliminating Health Disparities Institute. 10th Annual African American Walk for Quality Health. June 1, 2013 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Learn More
American Indians/Alaska Native Health
- SAMHSA: Webinar. How the White Mountain Apache Tribe Addressed Youth Suicide. May 23, 2013, 12:00 pm ET. Learn More
Asian American Health
- Men's Health Network: New report, created with the Office of Minority Health, now available. A Vision of Wellness and Health Equity for AI/AN Boys and Men. Read Full Report [PDF | 311KB ]
- Hmong National Development, Inc.: New population report released. The State of The Hmong American Community 2013. Read Full Report [PDF | 3.93MB ]
- Florida Department of Health: 2013 Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month Webinar. The webinar will include 2 major presentations: Asian American and Pacific Islander Health, History, Culture and Heritage; and Matters of the Heart: Heart health and prevention of heart disease for Asian Americans. May 28, 2013, 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm ET. Call-in number: 1-888-670-3525 Attendee Access Code: 495 136 2721 Learn More
- The National Council of Asian Pacific American's (NCAPA) Health Committee: Webinar. Comprehensive Immigration Reform, Health and the Asian American & Pacific Islander Community. Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm ET. Learn More
- South Carolina Rural Research Center: New fact sheet released. Diffusion of Preventive Innovation:
Racial and Rural Differences in Cervical Cancer Prevention and Control Practices. Learn More [PDF | 111KB ]
- Healthy Schools Campaign: Webinar. Green Cleaning and Healthy Students. May 30, 2013, 1:00 pm -2:00 pm CT. Learn More
- National Academy of Social Insurance: New report released. Strengthening Social Security: What Do Americans Want? Views Among African Americans, Hispanic Americans, and White Americans. Read Full Report [PDF | 271KB ]
- The Commonwealth Fund: New report released. Care Management for Medicaid Enrollees Through Community Health Teams. Read Full Report
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Now accepting applications for members to serve on the Secretary's Advisory Committee on Minority Veterans. Learn More
- The Office of Minority Health Resource Center (OMHRC): The Knowledge Center presented a poster session at the Medical Library Association's national conference, in Boston on May 6, 2013. #279 Reducing Health Disparities through Digital Access: The Benefits of Partnership for Consumer Access. Learn More [PDF | 2.17MB]
- HHS/Office of Minority Health: Now accepting nominations for members to serve on the Advisory Committee on Minority Health. Nominations will be accepted until May 31, 2013. Learn More
- Missouri Foundation for Health (MFH) /Missouri Health Equity Collaborative (MOHEC): Forum. African American & Hispanic Health Equity in Missouri. June 4, 2013 in Columbia, MO. Learn More
- University of Miami Health System: Genetics Awareness Project conference. Why We Can't Wait: 2nd Annual Conference to Eliminate Health Disparities in Genomic Medicine: The role of industry, foundations, non-profits, and government. May 29 - 31, 2013 in San Francisco, California. Learn More
- National Council of La Raza: Summit immediately preceding the NCLR Annual Conference. 2013 Health Summit. The Summit will update attendees on the Affordable Care Act and address how immigration reform may impact its continued implementation. July 18 - 19, 2013 in New Orleans, LA. Learn More
- The Banyan Tree Project: Press Release. Asians, Pacific Islanders Reveal How HIV Affects Their Lives, Communities in New Digital Story Series. Learn More
- Farmworker Justice: Webinar. Training Promotores de Salud in HIV Prevention in Rural Latino Communities: A New Tool. June 5, 2013, 11:00 am -l 12:00 pm PT. Learn More
- SAMHSA: New report released. Addressing the Specific Behavioral Health Needs of Men. Read Full Report
- CDC: First comprehensive report on children's mental health in the United States now available. Mental Health Surveillance Among Children, United States, 2005 - 2011. Read Full Report
- Healthypeople 2020: Webinar. Who's Leading the Leading Health Indicators? - Mental Health. The event will highlight one program's success around suicide prevention in a Tribal community. May 23, 2013 12:00 pm ET. Learn More
- Salud America!: The first of six new research material packages is now available. The Healthier School Snacks & Latino Kids package highlights the fact that young people consume a high proportion of their daily calories at school. Learn More
Opportunities for Public Comment
- CMS: Recently issued a proposed rule with request for comment to implement the provision of The Affordable Care Act that reduces Medicaid Disproportionate Share Hospital (DSH) Allotments. CMS is accepting comment on provisions of this proposed rule until July 12, 2013. Learn More
- U.S. Preventive Services Task Force: Seeking public comments on a new draft research plan for Type 2 Diabetes. The research plan, Screening for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Impaired Fasting Glucose, and Impaired Glucose Tolerance is open for comments until May 29, 2013. Learn More
- EPA: Seeking public comment on a draft guidance report, Draft Technical Guidance for Assessing Environmental Justice in Regulatory Analysis. The purpose of this draft guidance is to provide EPA analysts with technical information on how to consider environmental justice (EJ) in regulatory analyses. Public comments will be accepted until July 8, 2013. Learn More
- HRSA/National Center for Health Workforce Analysis: New report brief released. National Center for Health Workforce Analysis. Read Full Report [PDF | 2.84KB ]
- Textforbaby: Partnering with HHS in an effort to reach more women with important information related to the Health Insurance Marketplace through a friendly competition among states. 2013 State Enrollment Contest. The contest runs from May 12 to October 21, 2013. Learn More
You will need Adobe Acrobat® Reader™ to view PDF files located on this site. If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat® Reader™, you can download here for free.
Last Modified: 05/22/2013 02:42:00 PM